Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mr. Sandman, Send Me a Dream

My daughter really needs one.  LaLa is 3 years old.  Someone please tell me why I can't get the kid to bed before 10pm.  Regardless of what time we start getting ready for bed, she doesn't fall asleep a second before 10 pm.  Often it's much later than that.  Her 5 year old sister, Noodle, goes to sleep without much problem most times before 9pm.

Last night LaLa fell asleep at 11:45PM.  This was after spending all day at school, then heading to the swim club after I finished work.  Silly me, I even put her PJs on for the ride home thinking maybe she would be so tuckered out she would fall asleep in the car.  Not a chance.

She laid in bed, she laid on the floor.  She went in her room, she came in my room.  She got a pillow to lay on the floor.  She laid on the floor singing to herself for 30 minutes.  I was totally okay with that, BTW, if it meant she was going to go to sleep, I didn't care where she did it.  She went back in the bed, back on the floor, crawled around the floor all while I tried to ignore her hoping she would tire herself out.  She finally decided to lay down and fall asleep just before midnight.

I'm tired just thinking about all that.  What time do your kids go to sleep? How do you get them into bed easily without a fuss?

9 comments:

Liz said...

how late does she sleep to in the morning?

Mama's Viewfinder said...

She has to get up by 7am for me to get to work on time. This will get earlier in the fall when my big girl starts first grade.

Theta Mom said...

I was one of those "cry it out" moms - but I know it doesn't work for everyone. In doing so, I attribute that to having 2 really good sleepers - not easy, though.

And welcome to TMC!!! So glad you joined us!

Bizee Mama said...

Following your blog & tweets... Thanks to shining2save Tuesday Twitter Hop!

BizeeMamax6.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/bizeebeauty

Hope you enjoy doing the same!

~Kimberly

Jennifer said...

Don't worry...I am on the same schedule. My kids were really bad...up until 11pm or so every night. We gradually got earlier and earlier. Now we are between 9 and 9:30. But with the summer here, our schedules are all off!

Mama's Viewfinder said...

Jennifer, I wouldn't mind so much if we could sleep in. I have to be out of the house by 7:30 at the latest with them in order to get to work on time.

Mama's Viewfinder said...

I did CIO with her when she was a baby and it worked quite well. She was an awesome sleeper. About a year ago she was having a really hard time breathing at night and had developed sleep apnea due to severely enlarged adenoids. I started sleeping with her to keep an eye on it until she had her surgery to take them out. She became very clingy after the hospital stay and I took pity on her and stayed with her until she healed. Ever since then, she's been a monster at bedtime. My fault, I know. I tried CIO with this 3 year old and she just stands at the gate on her door, screaming nonstop for hours. She never moves from the gate and WILL NOT fall asleep. Me going in and/or moving her makes it worse. She's strong willed that one.

Making It Work Mom said...

My 4 year old just started sleeping through the night (mostly)! She is awful a tough cookie to get to sleep at night. It has been lately though ever since the weather has been warm and she decided that she wasn't going to take any more naps at school. She is also a horrible bear to wake up in the morning. I shudder to think of her teenage years. Good luck with your little one!

Patty Reiser said...

My son will easily stay up to midnight. Ever since he was a baby, he stayed up late. It doesn't matter what we do during the day. I have learned to just accept it. I tuck him in and let him stay up in his room while I crash.

Celebrate Life and Capture it!
Patty
#31DBBB/SITS